I have recently completed my degree in the UK, and I have now returned to Malaysia. I am seeking a full-time paralegal role in KL while studying for my Certificate in Legal Practice.
Role: Maternity cover for a senior conveyancing clerk, ensuring on-going cases continued to progress, alongside the new cases that were brought in.
- Handling of a varied conveyancing caseload, mostly representing the vendor.
- Drafting of legal documentation such as Sales & Purchase Agreements, Memorandums of Transfer, and other state-dependent documents with relevant authorities like the Land Office, Inland Revenue Board (LHDN) and Banks.
- Liaising and facilitating the process between developers' and purchasers’ lawyers, government officials and clients.
- Providing senior lawyers with regular updates on the status of each case.
- Preparing documents for attestations, maintaining the database and files, answering phones, receiving messages and performing other administrative tasks.
- Participating in weekly advocacy classes such EIC & cross-examination coaching, alongside other pupils and colleagues, held by the Senior Lawyer.
Role: I worked closely alongside a Corporate Lawyer, supporting in a multitude of tasks whilst gaining valuable experience in various legal fields.
- Joined internal meetings to discuss cases, and give legal opinions as required.
- Assisted in preparation for court cases and hearings.
- Attended public hearings and witnessed trial proceedings as necessary, gaining an in-depth understanding of court processes and protocols.
- Conducted end-to-end legal research including reviewing precedents and past legislation, fact checking different laws as applicable to cases at hand
- Supported in drafting legal documents.
- Other general office administration, including arranging case files, taking calls & messages, drafting emails & memos, preparing meetings agendas & minutes, and more.
Had a 2-week work experience where I was exposed to four different departments, shadowing the lawyers on how they go about day-to-day activities. Learned and developed a better understanding of the corporate legal world: how to review & proofread contracts, approach clients, present yourself in meetings, and basic billings.